Award-winning cup recycling solution launched
In a New Zealand first, coffee cups across the country will be collected and recycled into paper, thanks to the introduction of Detpak’s RecycleMe™ System. New Zealand is currently sending over 200 million cups to landfill every year.
Detpak’s award-winning collection system provides a solution for the coffee industry by guaranteeing all collected paper cups will be recycled into copy paper. The RecycleMe™ takeaway cups feature a lining that can be easily removed from the cup to ensure recyclability within standard pulping processes.
Detpak Manager of Marketing Group Brands Anna Falkiner said the RecycleMe™ system promotes a longer life for paper cups and supports a circular economy to keep products, components and materials at their highest utility and value for as long as possible.
“Our RecycleMe™ collection system is a total end to end solution, turning takeaway cups into recycled copy paper, and contributing to positive global environmental change,” Anna said.
In New Zealand, Detpak has aligned with The Information Management Group (TIMG) who are part of the Freightways group of companies to collect, sort and guarantee recycling of the cups.
General Manager of TIMG Ben Pryor said it was exciting to be a part of a true environmental solution for takeaway coffee cups.
“TIMG NZ is excited to partner with Detpak to align on this fantastic sustainability initiative,” Ben said. “TIMG NZ currently service an extensive network of over 10,000 locations nationwide as part of our existing document destruction service.
“The collection of RecycleMe™ cups will be seamlessly incorporated into the current TIMG distribution network.
“TIMG NZ and Shred-X, another member of the Freightways group of companies based in Australia, will perform all of the logistics, sorting, shredding and bailing services to enable the cups to be recycled into copy paper,” Ben said.
The RecycleMe™ System provides a holistic solution, with front of house collection stations also incorporating a lid collection with a guarantee the coffee cup lids will also be recycled.
The system was officially launched in New Zealand with Streetwise Coffee locations on November 5.
Streetwise Coffee are implementing Detpak’s RecycleMe™ System as a way of diverting coffee cups from landfill.
“Our customers are increasingly concerned about the environmental impacts of single use cups,” Streetwise Coffee said. “Consumers want the convenience of takeaway coffee without the guilt of wasting paper cups.”
Participating Streetwise Coffee stores are located in:
- Tawa – 185 Main Road
- Porirua – Capital Ford, 23 Parumoana Street
- Paraparaumu – Rimu Road (Outside Pak n Save)
- Paraparaumu – 160 Kapiti Road (Capital City Ford)
- Otaki South – 187 Main Highway 1
- Otaki North – 226 Main Highway 1
- Otaki Industrial – 35 Riverbank Road
- Feilding – 66 Aorangi Street
- Shannon – 72 Plimmer Terrace
- Palmerston North – 304 Rangitikei Street
- Palmerston North – 776 Main Street
- Palmerston North – 335 Ferguson Street
- Sanson – 53 Dundas Road
- Taupo – 30 Heu Heu Street
- Taupo – 147 Ruapehu Street
- New Plymouth – 137 Courtenay Street
- Hastings – 1004 Karamu Road
- Hastings – 623 Heretaunga Street West
- Napier – 122a Taradale Road
- Napier – 32 Pandora Road
- Hamilton – 614 Te Rapa Road
- Pukekohe – AKL -149-157 Manukau Road